Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm not gay but my trademark is...

Dear Rich: I have a question. I want to trademark a product that I will sell primarily in gay catalogs and I want to use the word "queer" as part of my trademark. I've heard that I'll have trouble if I try to register it. Since registration costs $325, I'd like to know if that's true before I file. I'm so glad you asked. There are dozens of trademarks with the word "queer" that have qualified for federal registration including Queer Beer, Queer Channel, Queer Duck, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and my personal favorite, The Coast is Queer. So it's unlikely that the USPTO will hassle you based on that term alone. It's true that the USPTO can reject marks that are scandalous and twice rejected the "Dykes on Bikes" trademark. However, that mark eventually achieved registration after the organization sponsoring the registration demonstrated that the term "dyke" was not disparaging to lesbians. (The trademark also survived a legal attack by a lawyer who claimed that the term denigrated men.) It's true that some terms are still considered as scandalous and derogatory but, assuming nobody is using a similar mark on related goods, you won't end up donating $325 to the feds. P.S. Did you know you can save $50 by filing your trademark as a TEAS PLUS application?