Monday, April 20, 2009

Repurposing Music Memorabilia

Dear Rich: I just came across your blog entry on repurposed goods and the first sale doctrine. My friend and I are contemplating repurposing music memorabilia into household items using recycled products -- for instance, re-covering a garbage pail with old photos of hair metal bands and selling it at a craft show. Will we run into problems and where can we find more information? I'm so glad you asked. The short answer is, "No, you will not run into problems selling one-of-a-kind repurposed goods." You will only run into problems if you make it seem as if the hair metal band endorses your products or is the source of your products. You can find more information about the legal issues in my book, Getting Permission. As for the Dear Rich staff's recommended choices for "can coverage" -- that would be CinderellaPoisonRATTMotley Crue,  Dokken,  Tesla, and the oft-forgotten (perhaps for good reason) W.A.S.P.