Monday, August 3, 2009

Getting Costume Character Gigs

Dear Rich: I want to know how one goes about getting permission from the owners of copyrights on character costumes used for children's birthday parties. I would not mind paying royalties if that was feasible.  Unfortunately, the Dear Rich Staff is not aware of a fast, easy, and inexpensive way to license the use of character costumes for parties. Most owners of licensed characters probably don't want to hear from you and/or have their own system for providing licensed characters for promotional events and parties. That's the case with Marvel, for example. On the other hand, if you don't mind working for the Licensed Man, and you are between 5' 10" and 6' 2" and physically fit enough to wear a Spandex suit, you can apply to work as one these licensed Marvel characters. Note: as the want-ad points out, "Spandex is unforgiving." (Photo above shows Dear Rich Staff with the licensed Dummies character!)